Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Need ncurses, module-assistant to build Linux kernel?

I think I may be getting somewhere with my compile problems for building Linux kernel modules for Voyage.

First of all, modpost apparently comes with linux-headers and is built when the kernel source is run with a "make" command.

Secondly, building the kernel apparently requires ncurses, which was causing most of my module build scripts to fail.

Several posts are recommending moving from modpost to module-assistant for Debian (and here) ... but alas, most modules I am working with are already configured to work with modpost. :( But something to keep in mind if I am writing my own kernel modules.

UPDATE, June 25, 2008 3:45 pm: I installed ncurses using this command:
apt-get install libncurses-dev

and I could indeed build the kernel without any problems.

No comments: